Sunday, August 30, 2009

I read real good

Book, books and more books. They arrived on Wednesday last week in little cardboard packages of joy and excitement for my reading pleasure.

The brief history section in Lonely Planet left me wanting so I followed up on some of their recommended readings.

Now I have in my possession A Nation Among Nations, Grapes of Wrath and that most famous of books about the great American journey, On the Road.


I’ve began my learned journey with On the Road and, 12 chapters in, am pleasantly surprised.

My preconceived ideas of an unreadable, posing book were wrong. So far it’s an enjoyable tale, uplifting and romantic. It’s hard not to get caught in the spirit. But how did these 20-somethings make their way in the world mooching off they old aunties? It must have been a simpler time.

I have just found out that Grapes of Wrath is also a movie! Why didn’t I know this sooner. I’m sure I’ll enjoy Joe Steinbeck’s 535 page novel, but my short attention span is made for movies. The mere fact that I’ve kept up this blogging thing for two posts is a share miracle.

What I really want to find is a good history about the Native American/First Nation people. Any suggestions?

Recommended readings please.
Kara




No comments:

Post a Comment