Monday, November 8, 2010

The songs that moved us: Music from coast to coast

Now, I've been meaning to do this for a while so here goes... my playlist of songs covering our road trip from LA to NYC... some are classics, some are cheesy, all bring back memories from the road.

Oh, and I'd love your musical suggestions for other classic American songs.

First up, I have chosen LA Woman by the Doors from their sixth and last studio album...

 

Up next is the obvious, but no less classic San Francisco (Flowers in Your Hair) by Scott McKenzie co-written by John Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas.



Travelling into the desert our next hit song is Elvis Presley's Viva Las Vegas - some classic dancing from the King in this video!



Heading further south is Kings of Leon's Arizona.



Getting spooky in Roswell it's the X Files theme...



West into the Lone Star State we're greeted once again by that kick-ass band the Doors with The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat).



For a history lesson in San Antonio it's Marty Robbins with the Ballad of the Alamo



Sticking in Texas is that little ol'wine drinker Dean Martin singing Houston...



Everytime I hear this island paradise's name I can't help but singing this song: Glen Campbell's Galveston.



The beautiful southern Louisiana town of Lafayette is celebrated in the The White Stripes' Lafayette Blues



We may have seen his guitars in Nashville, but Johnny Cash sung us into New Orleans with the The Battle Of New Orleans



And, of course, the Animals' House of the Rising Sun... I still don't think Eric Burden's face matches his voice.



Our tour to the swamp wouldn't be complete without a little CCR and Born On The Bayou.



Everytime I hear the name Mobile I think of this song - Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again



What better than a cheesy, sugary pop song for Miami by Will Smith.



I was down in Savannah eating cream and banana when the heat just made faint... it's Jug Band Music by the Lovin' Spoonful.



Peaches at sunshine in George with Georgia on my Mind and Ray Charles



More Lovin' Spoonful in the country music capital Nashville Cats



On our way north we stopped by the small Kentuky town of Bowling Green - one of my most favourite songs in the whole world is about this place. Bowling Green by Neko Case.



What else do you think of musicially when you think of Canada but this song... Blame Canada



On Capital Hill no other song seems more appropriate than Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son



This song was everywhere when we were in the city that never sleeps - New York by Alicia Keys



I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys - hell yeah!



In my final goodbye to the States there is no better way than a bit of Frank!

No comments:

Post a Comment