Monday, January 18, 2010

Juno & other musings

The first post of 2010 and it is suitably delayed.

Suitably delayed, because I am going to give my thoughts on a fairly old movie that I only just got around to seeing - and that movie is Juno.

The story of an impossibly cool teen who after having sex with her best friend finds herself *shock*, pregnant.

I put off seeing this movie as people raved about it in a way that made me avoid it.

The premise for this movie was nice - not all girls who get knocked-up are skanky drop outs. No, they can be cute, witty girls who are smarter than most of the adults around them.

Juno is the type of kid I would have related to as a teen - minus the pregnancy part!

And that's were I was annoyed - a movie about teen pregnancy and not one mention (as I recall) about unprotected sex! No talk of condoms, the pill, stds etc, nothing, just a whmsical tale about the fun of a teenager giving birth.

And is it just me, or does Michael Cera play the same role in Juno as he did in Superbad - the painfully nice nerd, who is also extremely articulate and mature?

I can say I enjoyed it, but I can't see what all the fuss was about - good acting, orignal story, but I don't know, I just don't get it.


No comments:

Post a Comment